Sunday, January 18, 2009

First Night In DC

After lots of concern about getting here, we made it to DC from Richmond in two hours.  I pretty much flew until Dale City/Potomac Mills Mall and, as I  expected, traffic piled up.  We heard on the radio (thank goodness for XM) that there was a multi-car accident.  Got off and went down Rte. 1 for a bit and got into DC without another hitch.

 Went to the Convention Center to up the tickets for all the events.  Was a cold walk in 20 degree weather neither of us are used to.  We both had to show IDs, so good thing I brought them.  Saw Jenny and April, who took great care of us.  The walk back was easier with little wind biting on our chins.  Surprised M Street and Mass. Ave are so residential.  Decide to eat room service -- it was great -- since we have to get ready to go back to the Convention Center for the party.

Get to the party.  Am checked in by Paolo, one of the staffers I worked with on the campaign (small world).  Quickly see Lisa from home and talk a bit.  She is on her way to another party.  We hang out for about an hour.  See Sen. McCaskill while we are in line for a cola.  Was going to say hi, since we met her on the campaign trail, but she leaves before we get our drink.

See a few people who look familiar, but it has been 20 years for many and I am a little unsure they look familiar enough.  We decide to go and get our coats.  While in the coat-check line, see someone I am sure I know and had hoped to see because he grew up with Jennifer from home.  I linger as he talks to people then decide maybe I'm wrong so we head to catch a cab.  While waiting, he and his wife walk by, so I yell "Andy?" and it's him!  I tell him how I was hoping to see him because Jennifer was telling me a small world story about meeting his college roommate.  When she related this small world story to me,  I asked if it was the same Andy I worked with at Harvard  years ago.  It was!! Small world indeed.  So, all-in-all a good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment